Thursday, June 29, 2017

Motherhood

Motherhood is long, tough journey that is not for the faint of heart. Motherhood means sacrificing yourself for your little one. Motherhood means hanging up your two-piece swimsuit for something that will cover up as much of your stretch marks and cellulites as possible. Motherhood is not getting a full night's sleep because your kids are sick. Motherhood is waking up early to prepare your kids for school no matter how late you went to bed. Motherhood is giving up your most favorite food because your kids want to eat it too. Yes, motherhood is not for everyone.  

But, for those of us who forged bravely into motherhood, it also means sloppy kisses at all hours of the day, endless hugs into the night, and unconditional love from those tiny humans.

Last night, while preparing my eldest for bed, I was telling her that when she grows older, she will not want to go out with mommy anymore, that she would prefer to go out with her friends.  She suddenly hugs me tightly and tells me: " Never! I will always want to go out with you! Forever!"  I know she feels this way because she is still so young, but to hear those words from my little girl absolutely melted my heart.

I don't think any parent will tell you that parenting is a breeze.  But, we do it anyway. Because the rewards far outweighs all the hardship.  Children make us feel alive and they fill our hearts with so much love and joy.  I think children prolong our lives just by being around us.  They make us appreciate the little things - the simple joys of spending time together, of sharing an ice cream bar, of taking a stroll in the park.

Yes, I am a very tired mother.  But, I am also very happy. My heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment